Each semester, about thirty students study in Notre Dame’s current flourishing Rome Program, which is run in collaboration with John Cabot University in Rome and draws on the resources of the Rome Global Gateway. John Cabot University is located in the heart of Trastevere, one of the most vital neighborhoods of the historic center of Rome (the Rome Global Gateway is near the Colosseum). For full information on the program, see the Rome Program page of the Office of International Studies as well as the Rome Global Gateway site.
The Bologna Program offers a full-year, full-immersion study at the University of Bologna, Italy’s leading university. If you wish to attain the greatest possible proficiency in Italian, in a truly intensive immersion experience, this is the program for you.The Bologna Program is run by the Bologna Consortial Studies Program (BCSP), a consortium of eight member universities (Indiana, Chicago, Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, Northwestern, UPenn and Wisconsin) and six associate members (Columbia, Barnard, Bryn Mawr, Cornell, Mt. Holyoke, Notre Dame). It is, however, a fully-facilitated Notre Dame study abroad program, adminstered for Notre Dame students through the Office of International Studies.
- Full-year program, normally junior year.
- Live in apartments, with Italian university students: full immersion!
- Take courses and exams at the University of Bologna, with Italian university students.
- All courses taught in Italian, by University of Bologna faculty
- On-site consortium staff provides support and orientation.
- The University of Bologna is Europe’s oldest university (11th century), and Italy’s top-ranked.
- Bologna, in north-central Italy, is an elegant, wealthy, ancient university city of 500,000.
- Easy train access to Milan, Venice, Florence, and Rome.
- Notre Dame can send at least two, and sometimes many more, qualified students each year.
- A Notre Dame-facilitated program (tuition, transcript, credit transfer all handled through ND).
- Must have at least 4 (preferably 5) semesters of Italian by end of sophomore year.
- Notre Dame ’s intensives (10115 and 20215) are an ideal headstart (4 semesters in 2)!
- Apply through Notre Dame’s International Studies; Deadline: November 15 for the following year.
- Information: see the Bologna Program page of the Office of International Studies, and the Consortium page.
Additional opportunities for study abroad
Offers numerous scholarships for summer language study abroad.
Summer 2018 in ROME (July 2- August 2, 2018) Deadline to apply: February 7, 2018
Generously funds graduate and undergraduate research and travel in the area of modern European studies.
Ravarino Travel Scholarships
About six scholarships of up to $3,000 each are awarded each year to continuing Notre Dame undergraduate and graduate students for summer study in Italy.
Sarah Spittler: Her experience doing the Study Abroad Program for Italian Studies