Admissions and Financial Support
Applications must be completed online using the Graduate School's Apply Yourself website. Please go to the Graduate School's website link to apply.
In addition to the general Graduate School requirements, the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures requires that:
- At least two of the three required letters of recommendation must be submitted by professors in the proposed field of graduate work, with whom the candidate has recently studied.
- Results of the GRE must be reported, and if you are not a native English speaker, you must take the TOEFL and have your score reported to the Graduate School.
- A recent paper in the language of the proposed field of study, as well as one in English if you are not a native speaker of English must be submitted.
- The above items must be submitted via the Graduate School's Apply Yourself on-line application system.
- In addition, the following materials should be sent to the Linda Rule, Romance Lang & Lit, 343 O'Shaughnessy Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556 or email@example.com.
- A compact disc or MP3 file, which should demonstrate your competency in French if you are native speaker of English, or in English if you are a native speaker of the language you plan to study. You need not prepare an original speech for this purpose but may simply read aloud.
Support packages typically include a teaching assistantship and a tuition waiver. Notre Dame stipends are competitive with those of other universities, and many students find the stipends even more attractive when the cost of living here is considered. Housing and other living costs in the South Bend area are well below the average for urban areas throughout the country. Over half Notre Dame's advanced students live in campus housing on or directly adjacent to the University.
For More Information
Online applications and general information are available through the Graduate School.